Obtaining my background check to teach abroad

Obtaining my background check to teach abroad

My Background check was a necessary evil. When it comes to us being able to go further with our lives, usually it is to enter into a type of employment and the people we are going to work for must show that they have checked out your credentials and that you are fit for them to employ.

If you have decided that your next career move is to go and teach abroad, maybe English or maybe something else, then it is likely that you will need to have some kind of criminal background check carried out on you, before you will be accepted for the position. Sometimes the check will be required if you are working with youngsters or vulnerable adults and sometimes you will need to obtain a visa for the Country you intend to work in. The check will need to be made in order to get the visa.

For Americans teaching English around the world the most common type of check that they will request is an FBI criminal background check which also gets called an Identity History Summary Check. This is especially common if you wish to teach in Asia.

You apply for the check by completing a page on the FBI’s official website, yes there is one, and follow the guidelines given. It can take up to four months to get this document so ensure you give yourself plenty of time before your journey. If you are desperate some channeling agencies are able to help you do this faster, again consult the website to help you decide.

Sometimes you will require your documents to have what is legally known as an apostille, in this instance this is a legal certification that will prove that the document is official and is for international use. Again, you can get help from the channeling agencies that appear on the FBI website in order to get an agency that they approve of or you will be no further forward in your task.

To determine whether you need a visa you are best corresponding with the company you will be working for or the TEFL organization who will help you and you will be assigned a TEFL advisor. All of the different countries have different rules relating to whether or not you need a visa for work or a holiday, especially if it is for a longer period of time. It can be quite a daunting task but you can always find instruction online of how to apply and what you need to apply for.

As well as the above you may require some further documentation to allow you to proceed. You might need a reference letter, a covering letter translated into the language of the country you are visiting. Some will require you to have an international resume, again this is your resume in a language they can understand., You will need photos suitable for professional use. You will need your diplomas and some possible translations. The same may apply to medical forms. The best tip is to just enquire, enquire and enquire until you are sure that you have everything you are going to need. It could be costly, so also be prepared for that eventuality.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *